Friday, December 31, 2010

Onion Rings

So I cleaned my house this morning from top to bottom.  In tidying up the kitchen, I realized that I have an insane amount of onions.  Not that this is a bad thing - onions are one of my favorite foods.  But what does one do with a pile of onions? 


One Googles 'Onion recipes' of course.  
The recipe at the top of the list was for Onion Rings.

Like most Americans, I have a genetic love for fried foods.  I won't pretend for a moment that grease is healthy, or something to indulge in regularly, but I just couldn't resist. 



The recipe I chose was super easy - but needed a bit of tweaking.  the first batch didn't turn out so well.  Couldn't get the batter to stick.  (they still tasted great, I mean, they're onions, they always taste great)





The Second batch went much better, and by the time I had fried up an en entire onion, I pretty much had it down to a science. Adapted from allrecipes.com  

Heat 2 - 3 cups oil in a deep-ish frying pan or wok. (the recipe says to heat to 365° F, but I don't have a thermometer, so I have no idea how hot it really was)




 Mix 1 cup white whole wheat flour with 1/4 cup of seasoned salt (I didn't have seasoned salt, so I used my own blend of garlic salt, celery salt, Garlic powder, and Mrs. Dash Table Blend)  Add 1 cup of milk, and mix until smooth.  Add more Milk if necessary until the batter is like a thick soup. 




Slice 1 large red onion in 1/3" slices and separate the rings.  Dip the rings into the batter and drop them into the hot oil six or seven at a time.  In retrospect, I should have taken note of the length of time that I fried these darling little treats, but it didn't occur to me as I was busy trying not to drool on them)  I'm guessing each wok-full fried for about 4 minutes, maybe 5.  I turned the onions with a pair of tongs a couple of times. 

Dry on a paper towel.  Sprinkle with Sea Salt.

I love onion rings.  Who knew making onion rings could be so easy? 

I hope your new year is filled with good food and incredible health!
Happy New Year,
JamiK

No comments:

Post a Comment