Saturday, December 18, 2010

Spicing Up An Old Favorite

I woke up this morning with a hankering for flavor.  I'd been planning on meatloaf, but somehow it didn't seem all that exciting.  However, since I had all the ingredients, I didn't want to put it off.  So here is my meatloaf recipe with a few changes to what I would normally make.  I don't believe I've ever actually referred to a recipe when making meatloaf.  As usual, I make things in large quantities, so this may be more than you want to make at once.  

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground beef
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups chunky salsa (I used medium)
2 eggs
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 375°
  • Saute the chopped onions and minced garlic for about 2 to 3 minutes
  • Combine ground beef, onions & garlic, oats, salsa, eggs, crushed red pepper & black pepper in a mixing bowl.
  • Shape into a loaf in a large baking dish

  • Bake for 45 minutes
  • Pour 3/4 cup salsa over the top of the loaf 
  • Replace meatloaf in the oven for an additional 45 minutes


My original recipe uses tomato sauce instead of the salsa, and does not contain the crushed red pepper.   Most of my oven time was covered, but I removed the cover on the baking dish about 10 minutes before it was done. 








Serve with vegetables, or whatever side you like.  

I have to say I think my imagination paid off this time.  The meatloaf was done to perfection - fully cooked, but not dried out.  The salsa and the crushed red pepper add the perfect ZING to a traditional dish.  I am quite delighted that I don't have to worry about lunch for the next few days


Add Spice to your life!
Enjoy your leftovers - avoid sugar!

JamiK

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jami, totally love the photos.....I might try it without the red pepper....my tastes are much whimpier. Mom

    ReplyDelete