Saturday, January 8, 2011

Yeesh. It's already time for confessions.

I didn't even make it a week into 2011 without a flub.  I have a severe weakness for ethnic foods - spicy ethnic foods to be precise.  Pad thai is the most amazing dish ever concocted in my opinion.  So when girls night out was planned it was decided that we would start the evening at the thai restaurant.  My original plan was to eat at home before we met for dinner, and settle for a spring roll or two.  Unfortunately, I was running late and didn't make time to eat at home. . . . . thus, I found myself ordering that beautiful dish of very hot pad thai (I forwent the ecstasy of the thai hot version so as to potentially be able to taste again someday).

As I sweated through approximately one third of the dish I vacillated between food heaven and food remorse.  Every recipe I have seen for Pad Thai sauce contains sugar. . . so I shan't disillusion myself with the possibility that maybe this one didn't contain any of the crystalline drug.  Plus, the bloating that followed the meal confirmed my suspicions.  My jeans felt like they were too tight for the rest of the evening.  Was it worth it? I honestly don't know.  That flavor, that spicy taste bud high. 

So today, I planned out my meals for the next week - NO SUGAR ALLOWED. 

I have never cooked or even eaten spaghetti squash. I have also never turned down an opportunity to fill my house with the smell of garlic & onions. I found this recipe on a website promoting healthy recipes for kids

Spaghetti Squash with Onions and Garlic

Ingredients:
  • 1 Medium Spaghetti Squash
  • 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 2 medium Onions, sliced
  • 4-5 cloves Garlic, pressed
  • Salt and black pepper to taste

 Steps:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds and membranes.
  • Place squash on baking dish and add 1 Tablespoon olive oil, half of the onion slices, and half of the garlic to each squash half.
  • Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper to taste.
  • Place in deep pan and add enough water to just cover the bottom of pan
  • Cover pan with a lid or aluminum foil.
  • Bake at 375 degrees for 60 minutes until the skin gives easily under pressure and the inside is tender. 
  • Use a fork to pull out the spaghetti-like strands, onions, and garlic from the inside of the squash.
  • Toss and Serve.
It looks just like spaghetti!  The original recipe called for half as many onions - but my squash was rather large, and I don't really believe there is ever such a thing as too few onions. 

  

Excellent flavor as well.  Next time I might add some curry powder to spice things up.

Honey is rather bored with this blogging business, so she declined to offer any consulting advice for today's recipe.  She's been snoring on the couch for the last hour.


Recipe's to come this week: 
Lemon Artichoke Risotto, Stir-fried Shrimp Scampi, Lazy Baked Greek Chicken.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
Avoid Sugar!
JamiK

No comments:

Post a Comment