Monday, December 6, 2010

You don't like what??

Most people gasp in astonishment when I say that I don't particularly like peanut butter.  It's not the taste, but the texture. . . . . It's not that I'm un-American, I just don't like the way it sticks to the roof of my mouth.  But, in breaking with 'life as usual' I bought a jar of peanut butter and made these tasty snack bars.

Recipe courtesy of my sister-in-law SamanthaK:)

Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter (I used Smuckers Natural)
1 egg
½ cup honey
2 cups oatmeal oats
½ cup or as much as you would like of berries (dried cranberries, raisins, etc)
½ cup or as much as you would like of nuts (peanuts, sliced walnuts, etc)

Baking:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350*
2. Mix ingredients together in a bowl
3. Compress and mold into 3” x 1” and roughly ½” thick bars onto ungreased cookie sheet

4. Bake for 8 minutes or until brown (10 minutes is too long)
     **(Mine were a little thick - so I actually did bake them for 10 min)
5. Let cool, if bars do not cool all of the way they will fall apart. Once cool they stay together.
6. Makes about 15 bars.
7. Enjoy!


These peanut butter bars are actually quite yummy - they don't stick to the roof of my mouth!  They are sweet enough, too, that I do not even vaguely resent the gingerbread house I made over the weekend with some friends and their kids.  


It's a good thing I don't plan on eating this epic feat of art - it's about the only holiday-ish decoration I have in the house.

Have a fabulous evening!
Be American - Eat Peanut Butter!
Avoid Sugar!
JamiK

No comments:

Post a Comment