Sunday, December 27, 2009

Almost Time to Buckle Down

Technically, the experiment has not yet begun - but I am already irritated. I made my favorite dish today - Pad Thai. And though I made it from scratch (no premade sauces, or packaged mixes) no fewer than three of the vital ingredients contain sugar (added sugar, that is). Mirin (an asian cooking wine), Sriracha Sauce (a spicy red chile paste type sauce), and Ketchup. Ketchup has sugar in it. Why? I'm pretty sure that the last time my sweet tooth had an itch, it wasn't itching for ketchup. AUGH! I need a sugar fix! Someone get me some ketchup!!

Riiiiiiiight.

I've already googled the recipes for ketchup and sriracha sauce. We'll see how that goes. As for the wine. . . . I think I shall try substituting a plain old white wine in its place - I'm not ready to start my own winery.

In preparation for the experiment, I have eliminated all foods containing sugar from the premisis.

Items I am sending to the food pantry or discarding are:
Breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, pasta sauce, spinach dip, taco sauce, queso dip, barbeque sauce, cocktail sauce, wheat crackers, Miracle Whip (where did that even come from?), Ketchup, baked beans (left over from a camping trip), stewed tommatoes, Pad Thai Sauce (premade), glazed pecans. Salad Dressings: Catalina, poppyseed, ranch, peppercorn ranch, thousand island, tangy tomato bacon, italian, and balsamic vinnagrette. There are a dozen freeze pops melting in the sink as I type this (except for the one in my hand), and tomorrow when I take the trash out, I shall dispose of the two cans of lemonade concentrate in the freezer.

Items I am not getting rid of even though they contain sugar:
A1, Heinz 57, and Worchestershire sauce (in case I have company over for steak sometime). If life without sugar gets so bad I end up chugging Worchestershire Sauce . . . . . . well, let's not go there right now.

One of the first things I freaked out about when MomK suggested I try giving up greed, was the salad dressing (please note the number and variety of dressings in the discard pile above). I like salad - no - I LOVE salad, but I'm not just gonna eat the veggies without the dressing!! Thankfully, I have discovered two brands of salad dressing that do not contain refined sugar.

Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese Salad dressing (It's to die for - if you like blue cheese, that is)
Bolthouse Farms makes seven or eight different salad dressing sans sugar - they are sweetened with apple juice. So far, I have tried the ranch, and the honey mustard. Both are excellent.
Both of these brands can be found (usually) in the refrigerated produce section of your grocery.

My irritation with regards to the ketchup seems to be subsiding. . . . . I had better go clean up the mess in the kitchen before I lose all my steam:)

Catch you later,

JamiK

No comments:

Post a Comment