Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Best Laid Plans . . . . . Sometimes Go Awry

I had planned to make Lazy Baked Greek Chicken for dinner yesterday.  I pulled the chicken breasts out of the freezer on my lunch break, and put them in a Tupperware container and left it on the kitchen counter in the corner where it couldn't be reached by my four legged friend.  Somehow, though, when I got home from work, the Tupperware was on the floor (open); and the chicken was nowhere to be found.  My only suspect met me at the door with her head down, and hasn't looked me in the eye since.  So I settled for an omelet for dinner. 

Today, I played it safe, and put the chicken in the microwave on my lunch break.  If she had been able to get it out of there, we would be on our way to join the circus right now. 

Lazy Baked Greek Chicken
Adapted from Every Day with Rachel Ray
(I couldn't find the recipe on the website - I got it directly from the magazine)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp EVOO
  • 1/2 a medium onion - finely chopped
  • 3 large cloves garlic - minced
  • 1 10 oz package chopped spinach
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Nutmeg
  • 3 Tbsp Butter
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 tsp Oregano
  • 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup crumbled greek feta cheese
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 425
  • Heat 1 Tbsp EVOO in a small skillet
  • Add the onion and 2/3 of the garlic and cook until softened
  • Transfer to a bowl, and cool - then add the spinach and season with salt pepper and nutmeg
  • Melt the butter in the same skillet then turn off heat
  • Add the breadcrumbs, remaining garlic and oregano - toss
  • Split each chicken breast across (but not all the way through) and open like a book
  • Stuff with the spinach mixture and the feta cheese allowing it to overflow a bit
  • Place in a lightly oiled baking dish and then sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top
  • Bake for 30 minutes (approximately).  I actually baked mine for about 45 minutes, due to the chicken breasts being rather large.   
Delicious!!!

Thaw frozen food out of reach of your pets.
Avoid Sugar!
JamiK

No comments:

Post a Comment