Sunday, November 28, 2010

Giving Up Greed - The Challenge

So the Holidays have begun. For most of us this means big meals, lots of sweets, and very little energy to care that it might not be that healthy. Because most of my family lives without or with very little sugar, I nearly made it through Thanksgiving without a hitch. We did,  however, have a run in with some 'real' chocolate chip cookies. I ate two of them.

Because I do my best to avoid sugar, I don't particularly worry about putting on holiday weight, but it might be something that you are worried about. In an effort to bulk up my recipe catalog and provide some helpful information to folks trying to give up the white stuff I have asked all my GREED-free friends and relatives for recipes. I will be trying a new recipe every other day for the next 3 weeks (ish) and posting them along with random commentary / observations for your reading enjoyment. I hope you will play along with me and see what you can do to give up the inGREEDient between now and Christmas.

Since I am still back home in Indiana for the next couple of days, MomK will be starting us off tomorrow with her amazing chicken noodle soup.  This has been one of my favorites since childhood.  It always tastes wonderful, there are always leftovers, and it is one of the most perfect 'cold weather' recipes one could find. (Post Thanksgiving, this can easily become Turkey Noodle Soup)


Ingredients:
1 whole or half chicken
3 - 4 large carrots, washed, sliced
3 - 4 celery stalks, washed, sliced
Optional veggies - frozen corn & green beans
1 large onion, cut in quarters or eighths
2 cloves of Garlic - minced
1 bag 'Reames' frozen Egg noodles
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp Parsley


Directions:
Boil chicken until cooked through
Remove chicken from broth, let cool, and pick the meat off the bones.

Add carrots, celery, onion, corn, green beans (or any veggies you wish) & garlic and resume boil.  Add 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 2 Tbsp parsley.
Add Reames noodles and continue boiling until noodles are cooked. 
Add Chicken

Eat well - but avoid sugar
JamiK

No comments:

Post a Comment