Saturday, December 10, 2011

Helloooo Potluck Season

It's that time of year again, the holidays have arrived.  For those of you whose work places are like mine you are familiar with the onslaught of 'treat days' and potlucks that generally accompany the season. 

the Thanksgiving Potluck
the Christmas Potluck
the 'half the office is out on vacation so let's eat junk' party

No one wants to be the office potluck scrooge, including yours truly.  So, in order to participate, I had to find a greed-free dish to take to these functions.  I choose to take the perfect salad.  Many moons ago, I fell in love with the Blue Cheese Chopped Salad at Outback Steakhouse.  When I gave up sugar, I gave up the salad too . . . . caramelized pecans, and a super sweet vinaigrette took my favorite salad off of the acceptable list.  Then one day, I realized there was this really cool place called the Internet, where I could find the recipe for my favorite salad, and then find ways to improvise and make it without sugar!


My measurements may be a bit vague, but it always seems to turn out fabulously.

Blue Cheese Chopped Salad
(adapted from Outback Steakhouse)


Ingredients
1 head iceberg lettuce
1/2 Romaine heart
Green onions
Red cabbage
Shredded carrots
16 oz blue cheese crumbles
1 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup pure maple syrup

1 cup angel hair pasta, broken into small pieces
2 Tbsp Butter
Balsamic vinegar














Chop the iceberg lettuce, romaine, cabbage, and onions into small pieces (but not mush)


Mix in a large salad bowl with the shredded carrots & blue cheese crumbles and set aside.

Melt the butter in a small sauté pan
Add the angel hair pasta pieces and saute until brown
Blot with a paper towel and set aside
Add the pecan pieces and maple syrup to the sauté pan
Cook on high heat, stirring, until the syrup is reduced by about half

Spread the pecans /syrup on a cookie sheet, or stone, and bake at 400° for about 15 minutes
Let cool, and crumble
Add the fried pasta and candied pecans to the salad, and dress with balsamic vinegar
Enjoy

This is truly one of the most delectable salads ever created, and if you ask me; it's just as good without the sugar (plus, how many people can say they make their own candied pecans?).

Go to the potluck, avoid sugar
JamiK

p.s. A handful of these pecan pieces make a really great snack when you need something to satisfy a craving for sweets.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. Is the diet you have chosen connected with the documentary InGREEDients, the Choice is Yours produced by J. Thomas Wenzel III? I watched it today with my five kids. I am sold on the concept, just don't know what to cook that my family will eat and is good for us. I also work full time and don't have tons of time to learn. What I know is that I gave up soda and juice years ago, avoid sugar and white bread, and still cannot control blood sugar or cholesterol. I try like heck to lose weight, and despise people that say things like, "I just gave up Starbucks and lost 30 pounds last year. You could do that too." I wouldn't touch a Starbucks with a ten foot pole. I didn't know what else I could try until I watched this documentary today. I am looking online for EASY recipes that are likely to be accepted by my family. I get so discouraged when people give my kids food, treats and candy at every bank or store we visit. It seems like every day is a party day at their school too. I don't like being the scrooge all the time either, but holy cow, sugar is EVERYWHERE. It is a constant iv drip into their little blood streams; I seem like the party pooper to my little addicts.

    ReplyDelete